Tuesday 28 January 2020

Use up your 'greyboard negatives'!

Hi everyone.
I know that once you get your hands on Lisa's products, you won't be able to stop - I couldn't!
I quickly had quite a few greyboard sheets with popped out elements... but it felt like waste simply chucking them out. So I decided to play and utilise them as a base for mixed media projects that can be used as... an unusual card (rather than a traditional paper one) or cool piece of home decor.


The awesome thing about using the 'negatives' is that you can leave them as they are with the holes or back them with paper of your choice adding to it another texture or design. Here, I decided to go for the holes - my wall is pretty enough to let it show through the flowery cut outs.

Here's how I made it:


Start by preparing your negative - I used ivory matte chalk paint.


I didn't use white because I wasn't going to completely cover the base in colour and white would have been too 'clean' for the design I had in mind.


Once ready, I glued some of the greybeard flowers and heard creating a dimensional base - it looks quite cool with the 'holes' in the negative and the added height of the toppers.


Cover the whole base with Ivory paint once again. Then choose Brusho powder which will be the colour of your project - I went for Burnt Sienna and Copper Sprinkle It to make it look a little bit rusty.


Sprinkle both focusing on the area that you have built up with the elements.


Mist it with water as much as you wish - I was aiming for the colour to be on the layers with only shades on the base.  


This is what it looks dried - you can see small puddles of colour on the left side of the base.


To finish the project, I added a metal tag and secured it with a sisal rope.


Doesn't it look cool?!


But then I thought... I could add something more to it!


Two flowers and a photo make such a difference!!!


Next time you use up your greyboards, make sure you utilise the negatives, too!

See you next time!





2 comments: