Monday 25 May 2020

Rustic Round Storage Box


Hello and thank you for joining me for my first ever blog post.


Today I am going to show you how I made this gorgeous round Rustic Round Storage Box. 


You may have seen one I made for Lisa’s show back in April. Well I loved it so much I thought I would make another!



I started by using a black marker pen on the tabs as I found last time when I painted them that they can cause the tabs to expand a little so it just makes it easier when it comes to assemble at the end.







I then painted it all in black Gesso.



There are 8 sides to the box so I decided to use Lisa’s Wood Grain Stamp and also her CrackleStamp on these. I did 4 of each and embossed them with a brown embossing powder followed by some gilding wax to add to the texture.

I also embossed the top and bottom of the box with the Crackle Stamp… it looks so effective!
Next I took some substrates and gave them a thin coat of black gesso too.





I wanted to give the effect of mini doors and the Hinges and Locks work beautifully for this.
To get the rusty effect, I first used some Cosmic Shimmer Strata Paste. If you have never used this before, it gives a rough, gritty feel to it. 



I then used some Cosmic Shimmer paint in a Teal colour and sparingly coated some of the area where I had put the Strata Paste. 


Once dried, I then used some ArtDeco Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide and painted over some of the Teal paint.


Finally topped off with a coat of Quinacridone Gold and the rust effect starts to come together.   



I added some Brads to the Hinges and a drop of Alcohol ink to tone down the colour as they looked a bit bright. It gives such a gorgeous effect!

For the other 4 sides I wanted to add Some of Lisa’s Wings and Cogs, I followed the steps above for the Cogs too.



For one set of wings I used some glue to stick down some micro beads, these are great to add texture to projects.




For the other set of wings I used some Cosmic Shimmer Lava Paste. This is great stuff!! I used a thin layer and heated it to get the bubbly effect.





Once done I made a thin mix of White Spirit and Brown oil based paint to paint them. The Lava Paste soaked up the mix wonderfully and gives a great look.


I had some Skeleton leaves in my stash, I distressed them a touch with Ground Espresso distress ink. They are very delicate so you need to be very gentle with them. I placed these behind the Wings with some of Lisa’s Pink Sisal which I sprayed with brown Distress ink first and added the cogs. 





I do love my Gilding Waxes so generally go over it here and there until I feel I have the look I am after. I also added a few little keys from my stash too.


Once done, I was able to assemble the box together and I added a little metal knob on top.









I just loved doing this project!! I hope you have enjoyed this blog and I hope I have given you some inspiration to make your own Round Storage Box... 



Thank you for stopping by. 


Much Love Nicky xx






4 comments:

  1. Stunning project Nicky, fabulous details xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much lovely lady x glad you liked it xx

      Delete
  2. I love the way you built up all the layers. Thank you for sharing some top tips too. It’s a great project xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely brilliant!! Congratulations on your first blog entry. Love this project ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete