Saturday 2 May 2020

Spotlight on Butterflies


Hello, Claire Newcombe back with you again today.
Some of you may have joined me for my last Facebook live, where I mentioned that Lisa's papers would be perfect for a particular technique to highlight the beautiful butterfly stamps recently released by Lisa Horton.



Today I'm using this opportunity to talk you through that process again, with step by step photos. Although I'm going through a whole project here, I try to included tips and techniques that can be transferred to all projects.
I have create three cards all, using the same technique, but each is unique.


To create todays card, I have used the following of Lisa's products



1)  I am using this beautiful sheet from Lisa Hortons Bali, Island Collection of design papers. Use the colours within the paper to determine the inks to use in the project.


2) Stamp some tonal script detail into the lighter areas using second generation ink-this is where you ink the stamp, stamp it lightly once onto scrap paper before stamping onto your project. Use a second colour to blend the edges around the script detail, making it blend into the background.



3) Use a clear embossing ink to stamp, and heat set with Lisa's ultra fine white embossing powder. Using Lisa's powder has been revelation I must admit - the detail that it picks out and retains from the beautifully intricate stamps is amazing. 
Also at this stage, use a combination of the chosen inks and the texture stamps from Lisa's 'Texture' stamp collection to add more detail round the corners.



4) Use a blending sponger to apply ink around the outside of the embossed butterfly image. Consider using a contrasting ink to create a halo, or a shadow effect. The ideal is for this to still be visible when we later decoupage another stamped butterfly into place.



5) Use a clear ink to stamp a butterfly onto coordinating cardstock. One tip I find useful when looking to emboss an is to use a stamping platform. I then ink and stamp the image very lightly a number of times - this means that i don't need to press the stamp onto the card with too much force, risking losing some detail.



6)Sprinkle the embossing powder and heat set. 


7) You'll notice here I havn't stamped the whole image. That is because I only want to fussy cut the main body of the image- the intricate tails on this particular image is already embossed onto the backing paper. Decoupage this now onto the backing paper using either a 3D adhesive or glue.




8)Before assembling the card, add extra detail by stencilling onto the card blank.




Thank you so much for stopping by, I hope this has made you smile today.
Remember we have a lovely Facebook group where we'd love for you to share all your makes with Lisa products, I'll pop the link just here


Take care of yourselves x

3 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful card. I love the white embossing powder its really really white��

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed watching you make the cards on the FB LIVE but I particularly like the colours on this card. The spotlight really makes the image pop ! ❤️

    ReplyDelete